Clear for takeoff

9 February, 2010

You turn your back for five minutes and ten years go by. The DVLA demanded that I renew my licence, which makes it a decade since I got my (distinctly unenthusiastic) hands on a provisional licence and almost as long since I was holding up the Crawley* traffic with turns-in-the-road and reversing-around-corners**.

When my shiny new licence arrived, I found the following categories in the provisional section:

A: ride a large motorbike
B+E : drive a car with a trailer
GH: not listed anywhere in the accompanying booklet

What is GH? With a moment’s thought, it’s obvious: it’s my provisional entitlement to drive a flying car ๐Ÿ˜€

* Never going back there as long as I live. It’s awful.

** Neither of which, of course, are actually of much use. I guess it’s the thought that counts.



  1. The truth is actually almost as good. A ‘G’ licence is for road-rollers and an ‘H’ licence is for vehicles with tracks instead of wheels.

    You are provisionally entitled to drive a steamroller ๐Ÿ™‚

    • Awww, the DVLA is case-insensitive after all? ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I suppose a provisional tank licence is reasonable compensation.

  2. For a moment there, I was about to leap to the defence of Crawley, then I realised: nope, wrong concrete disastrophe … ๐Ÿ˜‰

  3. Shame that the Space Shuttle is being retired this year – you’re probably entitled to drive that! On a more earthly note, however, if you’ve can get the tank, I can provide the radio… http://www.tibblestone.com/oldradios/militaryradio/19set_restoration.htm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: